It’s Wednesday! Today we have a very special article as part of our “Weight Management Wednesday” series and it’s a “buffet” of information! So, pull up a chair – wait – don’t – this is a buffet – grab a plate and a pen and let’s take a stroll down the line.
Clients of mine who receive Weight Management coaching often ask for advice when going to buffets.
Aren’t buffets hard to manage? How do you do it?
The most important thing to remember about a buffet is that you can always go back!
When you go to any restaurant, you are seated, given a menu and asked for your drink order. The same happens at a buffet, except the menu isn’t on paper – it’s live and in living color.
I thrive at buffets! Think about it:
- You control your serving size.
- You don’t have to worry about a portion coming out of the kitchen that is enough for three people.
- You can see everything before you choose to eat it and make wise decisions based on what you see. Every buffet (I have yet to visit one that does not) allows you to do a walk-through prior to being seated so you can decide if you want to eat there. Take a walk and take a look and see what is being offered. If it doesn’t look good, go somewhere else. If you’re on a cruise ship, make the best of what you see and if you really don’t like ANYTHING, find someone in charge and make a request. They’ll accommodate you. You may have to wait for it, but cruise staff members will bend over backwards to make you happy.
- You can get as much as you want! Just keep in mind that while there are people starving around the world, you are enjoying your abundance and don’t need to be wasteful. Eat what you take and if you end up not taking enough, you get to go back for more!
A Word of Caution
While buffets are blessings in disguise, I feel the need to remind you that it is a buffet and you do have all the necessary components to go overboard if you happen to battle a food addiction or have a daily struggle to manage your weight.
The fun of a buffet is that you get to keep going back until you’ve had enough. If you know you like to get up multiple times, take less each time you go up. It’s okay for there to be some white space on your plate and for your foods not to touch each other. You’re paying the same as you would for a restaurant that would serve you from a menu order, so why sacrifice the presentation of your meal? Don’t pile your food on your plates and don’t act like it’s the last time you’re going to eat. If you arrive at the buffet extremely hungry, go right to the vegetables first so their fiber content can quickly go to work to take the edge off.
My trick to ensuring that I don’t overeat at buffets is that I hunt down the salad plates and I use that stack of plates for everything. I get to go up just as much as everyone else, but I’m honest with myself and I know that I have a tendency to fill my plate; therefore, if my plate is smaller, I can still fill it without stuffing myself.
Follow Johnny’s Rules of Buffet Eating and eat your way to success!
- WITHOUT a plate, walk the entire buffet and see what your choices are, making mental notes of the most enticing things you see.
- Grab the salad plate and go directly to the most enticing things you saw and spatially place them on your plate. The salad plate can usually be found by the seafood or dessert bars. Most restaurants have the entrée plate, the medium plate or “salad” plate and the super-small plate for desserts.
- Go sit down.
- Slowly eat the foods you have chosen, sip your beverage and allow your server to remove your plate when you’re finished. DO NOT TAKE THE SAME PLATE BACK UP TO THE BUFFET – IT’S AGAINST HEALTH REGULATIONS!
- Repeat 2-4.
Buffets can kill your best efforts or afford you the opportunity to be victorious. It’s always up to you. Proper planning in the smallest way can help you immensely in the long run! Now go eat!
YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CREATE YOUR ULTIMATE LIFE!
Subscribe to my blog! You will receive articles via email so you can add some positivity and an amplified attitude to your life! To subscribe, click on the “follow” tab at the bottom of the screen and enter your email – then go check your email and confirm that you want to follow the blog. It’s that easy!
Dr. Johnny Bergstrom, Msc.D., AMDA, is a Doctor of Metaphysical Science and an accomplished Metaphysician, Speaker, Author, Law of Attraction Expert and Health & Wellness Coach. He has the “gift of ignition” – an innate ability to spark the internal fires and personal passions in just about every person he works with. Whether it is through a motivational speech, corporate pep talk, or the keynote at your next corporate function – Dr. Bergstrom is just the spark you need to ignite a raging fire throughout your organization! TeamJohnny, Inc. is based in North Palm Beach, Florida. To book Dr. Bergstrom, email your inquiry to Johnny@goteamjohnny.com.
©TeamJohnny, Inc. 2015 All Rights Reserved.