Recently, there was a story of a woman who had lived at her healthy weight, she had a rockin’ body, had a few kids and while she struggled to maintain her healthy weight as well as her nice figure, she wasn’t happy. I’m paraphrasing the interview I watched and she stated that she always had to go without when it came to foods she wanted to eat, etc. – there was always some kind of deprivation involved to maintain the body that she had.
From her contribution to this news story, I gathered that she was happier when she was fat (as she currently was during the interview) because she had more freedom with less healthy food, or a higher caloric consumption of healthy food but at a still more than necessary consumption level.
Let me be clear – I am in no way attacking her or her position. She has provoked me to give the matter some thought and I can completely relate to her and I feel for her. But my question for you in this article is whether or not you think that one can be fat and happy, forever. It’s fun for a while, but when life grows physically hard and you develop health problems that weren’t there before, that are directly related to carrying around excess weight – one must begin to wonder if there really is happiness in layers of fat.
With over two-thirds of Americans overweight or obese, me being formerly among them, I have some thoughts. These are some of my thoughts from my formerly fat perspective:
- When I was morbidly obese, (and my family can attest to this) I felt every emotion except happiness. I was absolutely miserable and made everyone around me miserable because I felt like I was locked inside my prison of a body, consumed by layers of fat and burden.
- The only time I was happy when I was fat was when I was eating, which was often short-lived but happened frequently, since I seemed to always be putting some kind of food in my mouth.
- I was not included more in the goings-on of my life, since I ran and hid from any kind of social outing where I would be seen and recognized. The only things I participated in that involved socializing with other people was hanging out with my fat friends, eating fattening foods and living the fat life.
Here are my thoughts from my current, gorgeous, thinner, HAPPIER reality:
- I am so happy now that the weight is off and has been for 7 years, because I can do so much more now than I could when I was fat and miserable.
- It is so nice to fit in an airplane seat, without needing a seatbelt extension or feeling like I’m intruding on my seatmate’s space.
- It is so nice to squeeze through narrow spaces in between chairs in public gathering spots, where more than one person would have been bumped into and potentially knocked over before.
- I don’t huff and puff when I go up and down stairs, I can bend over to tie my shoes and my physical freedom to move and take off running just because is so rewarding.
Am I miserable because I can’t eat everything in sight? Honestly, yes – at times. I’d be lying if I said no. But that misery is as temporary as the joy I felt when I was fat, eating and repeating behaviors that would have probably amounted to Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, Cancer, Sleep Apnea, etc.
It literally pains me when I see large people consuming large portions of unhealthy food, especially while they consume high-sugar foods while having a conversation about how they now need to take insulin to manage their blood sugar. Sure, everything is circumstantial but you need to ask yourself if your choices are healthy and consistent with the lifestyle you ULTIMATELY want to live. If you are living a life that is going to hinder the life you could one day lead, you have some choices to make; choices that are based in health of body, but firstly founded in mind and spirit.
So now, do you think one can be fat and happy, forever?
If you begin subscribing to this blog you will receive articles via email so you can start your day with positivity and an amplified attitude! If you still need to subscribe, it’s very easy to do so! Just enter your email to the right and click “Follow” – then go check your email and confirm that you want to follow the blog. It’s that easy!
Dr. Johnny Bergstrom, Msc.D., AMDA, is a Doctor of Metaphysical Science and an accomplished Metaphysician, Speaker, Author, Law of Attraction Expert and Health & Wellness Coach. He has the “gift of ignition” – an innate ability to spark the internal fires and personal passions in just about every person he works with. Whether it is through a motivational speech, corporate pep talk, or the keynote at your next corporate function – Dr. Bergstrom is just the spark you need to ignite a raging fire throughout your organization! TeamJohnny, Inc. is based in North Palm Beach, Florida. He can be reached by emailing Johnny@goteamjohnny.com, or through his website, www.goteamjohnny.com
©TeamJohnny, Inc. 2015 All Rights Reserved.